Sunday, March 7, 2010

Channeling Bridget Conn

Bridget Conn
 
Cleaner Laundry
2004
Photographs, twigs, thread on sheets
Conjuring Great Aunt Someone (Tea Secrets)
2009
Inkjet prints on teabags, paper, metal, wax, wood
7in. x 10in. x 2.5in.


Here is a link to an artist I just discovered, Bridget Conn. Much of her work reminds of the things I started exploring last year and wish that I had continued with. Perhaps once the senior show is in place, I can start playing with that series again. (Hey a girl can dream right?) Projects I had really wanted to make were--cyanotypes on my great grandmother's tea towels and a cyanotype on a quilt--but I never got the process worked out well enough for the quilt.
Anyway.
Conn's work, Quilt of Days, a quilt made out of images on teabags, really made me miss that body of work and the adventure I found it to be. Some of the work also really reminds of past graduate, Nicolette Hall's work, with the installations and reoccurring birds. Also, I find the artist's writings to be quite nice--similar to her work style-wise.
Some of my favorites (that you should probably check out because they're awesome) are : Ancestor's Worship, Reliquary, and Conjuring Great Aunt Someone from her 'Recent Tea Projects' section. I also love love love her Cleaner Laundry work within her Stillmoreroots series. whew! 
I also thought these works might be of interest to E. Henson, with the family history and what not.
But everyone should check it ouuuutttttttt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment